What is a dental calculus?
It is also known as dental plaque or tartar, but most of the time it is called calculus. It is a mass formed by food waste that is not removed by brushing, it hardens and adheres to the surfaces of the teeth causing sick gums and bad breath.
You may also know that this are only some tips, but you need to schedule an appointment with a dentist to have healthy teeth. This will just reduce the calculus temporarily but not completely, you need a professional dental cleaning for that.
The main cause of calculus or tartar is food.
It has been determined that a diet rich in sugars, acids, processed foods and fats increases the bacteria responsible for calculus. These tips will just reduce the calculus temporarily but not permanently, this is why you need a dental procedure to clean your teeth, and do this at leats 2 times a year in a dental clinic. Also the consumption of dark foods can increase the presence of calculus.
Another causes of calculus:
- Consumption of coffee
- Smoking cigarettes
- Genetic predisposition
- Bad dental hygiene
- Consumption of many sugars
4 Dental cleaning tips to reduce dental calculus:
- Reduce the consumption of sugar: The problem is that when mixed with saliva creates a weak tooth enamel, becoming prone to tooth decay.
- Chews raw vegetables: It favors the flow of saliva and prevents the bacteria of sugary food from accumulating.
- Eat fruits: The natural properties of fruits help to reduce the formation of tartar and have healthy gums.
- Clean your teeth two times a day at least: This is something that is basic in our daily life, you have to wait 15 minutes after eating so you could clean better the bacteria.
- Use dental floss: This will help you to reach the most difficult parts between your teeth, there are the places where most of the food gets stuck and accumulates bacteria.
4 Ingredients you should consume to reduce the calculus:
- Orange peel: The peel of the orange is a formula used since ancient times to clean the tartar of the teeth and whiten them.
- Aloe vera: As the orange peel, this ingredient will help you to whiten your teeth.
- Sodium bicarbonate: This ingredient with salt will help you to also whiten your teeth.
- Spicy food: This will help you to produce saliva, but you should not consume it regularly.
- Sesame seeds: They are ideal for removing accumulated dirt from the teeth.
- Parsley: This aromatic herb used in hundreds of dishes has the ability to release the tartar that has accumulated behind the teeth.
You have to know that this are just momentary tips while you schedule an appointment with one of our dentists, because this requires professional intervention.
You may be also interested in this posts:
5 Tips to soothe toothache
What can cause teeth sensitivity
Being stressed can damage my teeth?
Poor oral hygiene can quickly lead to non-dental diseases