Improve your oral health with these foods.
A poor diet can lead to oral diseases. If you want to improve your health and get an amazing smile you need a proper nutrition. It means eating a well-balanced diet so that your body can get the nutrients and avoid foods high in carbohydrates.
The difference between a healthy mouth and frequent visit to the dentist might be your diet. There are many types of food that can give a big boost to your oral health and they will contribute to prevent cavities and periodontal disease.
This is the top ten food that will help your mouth stay healthy.
- Leafy Greens: Leafy greens are high in calcium; it promotes oral health by building up teeth enamel. They are also rich in folic acid and a type of vitamin B that prevents gum problems.
- Apples: Eating an apple creates an effect similar to a toothbrush because of the presence of fiber-rich flesh and skin. Biting apples regularly helps remove debris and stains from the teeth and help get rid of any food particle sticking to your gums and crevices of your teeth.
- Carrots: Eating carrots can help your mouth form saliva is needed to keep your mouth wet and to rinse away bacteria and food debris left in your mouth after consuming meals. They also have vitamin A, which strengthens mucous membranes.
- Celery: It helps clean the areas between teeth and produce saliva. The green vegetable also helps in neutralizing bacteria and massaging the gums.
- Almonds: The calcium and protein in almonds shield and strengthen your teeth against destructive bacteria that can grow cavities and gum disease.
- Strawberries: They contain malic acid, which is actually a good natural whitener for enamel.
- Grapes: They may help preventing tooth decay and the grape seed extract can toughen dentin. It helps reducing the incidence of tooth extractions by increasing the longevity of resin fillings.
- Nuts: Eating foods rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids, such as salmon and nuts, may help prevent gum disease or periodontitis.
- Cheese: Eat cheese and other dairy products also might help protect teeth against cavities because its ability to combat acid erosion of the teeth. In addition, various compounds found in cheese may adhere to tooth enamel and protect it from bacterium.
- Yogurt: It helps gums, keeps enamel strong, prevents tooth decay, fights bad breath and makes your mouth less acidic.
Eating healthy is just the start. Always remember to brush twice a day and floss at least once a day, twice yearly visit your dentist and limit sugar consumption. For more information about your dental care, contact us and our dentist will help you.
You may be also interested: Nutrition and oral health